The Xiaomi Poco M2 is a less premium sibling to the previously released Xiaomi Poco M2 Pro. It also happens to be the most subtle smartphone from Poco. What’s more, it bears the same chassis design and specs sheet as seen on the Xiaomi Redmi 9. To buttress this point, we explore its specs and price, which will also help you make your purchase decision.
Where to Buy Xiaomi Poco M2
Poco M2 Pro Key Specs & Features
- 6.67-inch, IPS LCD Capacitive Touchscreen, 1080 x 2340 Pixels (395 PPI)
- Android 10.0; MIUI 11
- Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon G80 (12nm)
- 6GB RAM
- 64GB/ 128GB Built-in storage, With MicroSD Support
- 13MP + 8MP + 5MP + 2MP Quad Rear Camera
- 8MP Front Camera
- 4G LTE
- Fingerprint Sensor (Rear-Mounted)
- 18W Fast Charging
- 5000mAh Non-Removable Li-Po Battery
Design and Display
As mentioned in the introductory paragraph, the Poco M2 design mirrors that of the Xiaomi Redmi 9. Its the same subtle design. The absence of a circular ring around the rear camera module and the presence of the Poco branding in lieu of Redmi are basically the only dichotomies in design.
On the rear, you will find four cameras, three of which are arranged in a straight line with a capacitive finger sensor. You will also find the Poco branding indicating the OEM.
Upfront is a 6.53-inch LCD display with a teardrop notch housing a selfie camera. This display has a resolution of 1080 x 2340 and a density of 395 PPI.
The Poco M2 is sort of generous with colour options, as it comes in four colour variants which include Carbon Gray, Sunset Purple, Ocean Green, Pink/Blue.
Similar to the Redmi 9, the Poco M2 bears a set of four cameras on the rear and a single camera up front for selfies. It’s not just the number of cameras, as the sensors and features on these cameras are actually the same.
The quad rear camera system comprises of a 13MP primary camera with an aperture of f/2.2, an 8MP ultrawide camera with an aperture of f/2.2, a 5MP macro camera with an aperture of f/2.4, and a 2MP depth camera with an aperture of f/2.4.
The rear camera setup is capable of shooting videos capped at 1080p @ 30fps. Enthusiasts also have the luxury of HDR and Panorama mode for photos.
Selfies are manned by a single 8MP camera with an aperture of f/2.0. This camera supports video record up to 1080p @ 30fps. It also offers HDR mode for photos.
Hardware and Software
Performance on the Xiaomi Poco M2 is backed by a mid-range smartphone hardware, that comprises of an Octa-core MediaTek G80 processor, Mali-G52 MC2 GPU, 6GB of RAM, option for either 64GB or 128GB of internal storage, and a non-removable 5000mAh Li-Po battery.
Enthusiasts will also get the luxury of an 18W fast charge mechanism, it isn’t top-notch by any means, but its better than having nothing, especially when putting the price into consideration.
On the software side, it runs the MIUI 11 user interface on top of the Android 10 operating system.
The Xiaomi Poco M2 features a 3.5mm headphone jack, USB Type-C port, dual-band Wifi Bluetooth 5.0 connectivity.
Internet connectivity on the Xiaomi Poco M2 is capped at 4G LTE, this means you won’t have the luxury of 5G internet speed. Download and uploads are limited to 4G speed.
Xiaomi Poco M2 Price and Availability
The Xiaomi Poco M2 price is around $155. Which translates to around 60, 000 Naira in Nigeria, 16,824 KSH in Kenya, and 897 GHC in Ghana.
The Xiaomi Poco M2 was announced on September 8th, 2020, and became available for purchase as from September 15th, 2020.
Xiaomi Poco M2 Specs
Here are a few specs of the Xiaomi Poco M2:
- Platform: Android 10, MIUI 11
- Processor: Octa-core MediaTek Helio G80 (2×2.0 GHz Cortex-A75 & 6×1.8 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G52 MC2
- Memory: 6GB RAM
- Colours: Carbon Gray, Sunset Purple, Ocean Green
- Dimension: 163.3 x 77 x 9.1 mm
- Weight: 198 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Dual-SIM
- Display: 6.53-inch IPS LCD, 1080 x 2340, 395 PPI density
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 13MP (wide) f/2.2 + 8MP (Ultrawide) f/2.2 + 5MP (Macro) f/2.4 + 2MP (Depth) f/2.4 Camera
- Rear Camera Features: LED flash, HDR, Panorama, 1080p@30fps
- Front Camera: 8MP, f/2.0, HDR, 1080p@30fps
- Built-in Storage: 64GB / 128GB
- Memory Card Support: Yes
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: 1, 3, 5, 8, 40, 41
- 5G: No
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes, Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes (Market/region dependent)
- Infrared Blaster: Yes
- USB Port: Yes, USB Type-C (2.0), Reversible Connector
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: –
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: Wireless FM radio (No Wired Headphones Required)
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS
- Maps: Yes, Google Maps
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: –
- Barometer: –
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: –
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (Rear Mounted)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Google Assistant
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: –
- Wireless Charging: No
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant: No
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: Non-removable 5000 mAh Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 18W Fast Charging Capacity